Written by: Billco Manufacturing Service Department
If you are experiencing excessive rejects during breakout from premature or improper breaks, we suggest checking the following areas:
- Cutting Wheel Angle: Is the correct cutting wheel angle being used for the thickness of glass being cut? Billco can make recommendations.
- Cutting Wheel Condition: Is the cutting wheel in good condition and not worn? A worn wheel will generally cause a poor score that does not separate properly.
- Proper Air Pressure: Is the proper air pressure setting being used for the wheel angle and glass thickness being scored?
- Air Flow Restrictions: Are there any kinks in the air lines or incorrectly adjusted flow restrictor valves that are causing insufficient air to reach the cutting wheel holder?
- Bind-Free Wheel Holder: If the cutting wheel holder is a self-aligning type, as used by Billco, is it free to swivel without binding?
- Perfect Alignment: If the cutting wheel holder is a non-swiveling design, is it perfectly aligned in the direction of travel?
- Cutting Fluid: The use of cutting fluid is recommended. Is the fluid delivery system adjusted properly to provide an adequate amount all along the score line?
- Timely Breakout: For best breakout results, the score lines should be separated within a few minutes after scoring.
- Flat Surfaces: Are the cutting table and breakout table surfaces flat, without any bows or depressions?
- Belt Alignment: If the table has conveyor belts, all belts should rise simultaneously, and be perfectly level across all belts when in the raised position.
- Belt Positioning: All belts should retract below the surface of the table during the scoring cycle.
- Proper Transfer Height: When the glass is conveyed from the cutting table to the breakout table, the bottom surface of the glass should be approximately 1/32” above the breakout table surface, as it passes from one table to the other.
- Air Flow Delivery: Is there enough air flotation to easily move the glass onto the breakout table? If not, check the blower filter, air valve adjustment, and air delivery system to make sure it is not plugged somewhere with powder or other debris.
If you have completed the above and are still experiencing issues, please contact the Billco Service Department at 724.452.7390.